Friday, June 1, 2012

A Bit of an Issue

So my well trained horse has a little bit of an issue (pun intended).  See, being new to horse ownership, I neglected to understand that a horse in a Pelham is not the same horse in a snaffle.  And while I had her on trial for the month, my dressage trainer had her in a Pelham or a Weymouth.  And I was excited to learn to ride with double reins.  I brought along a snaffle one day, just to try it on her, and she was strong in it, but not so strong that I was worried about not testing well one day.

Fast forward to today, 5 bits and a German martingale later, we are going to be learning now to be soft and supple in a snaffle.  In a snaffle, she doesn't listen to your seat, or your hands.  She just goes, hollow, on the forehand. Sometimes in front of the bit, sometimes behind it.  And if you call hanging on to the bit with your front teeth "on the bit" then yes, we've had a few episodes of that as well.  My gorgeous, sweet mare, who is a dream on the ground either in the round pen or on the lunge line, becomes a...wait for it...headstrong mare with no brakes. Sound like any TB's we know?

No comments:

Post a Comment