Friday, July 20, 2012

A Snaffle and a Show

  As of last week, we are in an honest to goodness dressage legal bit.  It's amazing actually, considering that she was heavy even in a curb.  With the help and patience of my trainer, lots of hours in the saddle, and prayers to the horse gods, we are now in a Baucher bit.  !!! Of course we have some other hurdles to get over before our first dressage test next Spring, but our biggest challenge has been solved.  The Baucher has quickly become my favorite bit to ride her in.  She can start to charge in it, but she does listen to reminders to take it easy.  It also helps that she is very intuitive.  She wants to do the correct thing, and she is also a mind reader.  Mind reading is a bonus when it comes to training a horse. 

In addition to our breed show at the end of the month, we've also entered a benefit open show in just a couple of weeks.  A practice show for us, but still, will be our very first show together.  It also involves two canter classes, which I desperately need and secretly dread.  Cantering with 15 other horses in a ring is so intimidating I almost can't even think about it.  What if I pick the wrong line?  What if she picks up the incorrect lead?  What if we run into someone????!!! 

Thank God there are two of us on this team. One of us has done this before, I keep reminding myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment