Friday, July 13, 2012

A Short Time to Get There

I can't believe it has been almost a month since I last posted...time flies when prepping for a show!  Our first show is at the end of August, 6 weeks away. She's come a long way since April, when she stepped off the truck into my life. "Shaggy Bones" as my hubby named her. He's eating his words now.  She's sleek, shiny, perfect weight, building muscle, and above all, has an incredible work ethic.  Now we have to get in sync.

At the moment, we're working on collection.  She wants to start out strung out, heavy on the fore and heavy in my hand.  By the end of a workout she is working from the hind and lighter in the bridle, but still not show ready.  Alternating between riding and long lining, my trainer feels we will get her there and I'm keeping the faith.

What makes me most anxious is that I know the competition.  Morgans that have been to Grand Nationals with trainers that have been in Morgan barns their whole careers.  That's not to say my girl can't hold her own, she's got the fire and the confidence and the drive to compete.  And she's been in the ribbons.

The ribbons...didn't I once say I was here to have fun, that ribbons really meant nothing once you left the show grounds?   I want to bring home the ribbons.  I want to show the Morgan world that my mare, from a little run down barn in the woods, can rock it in the Hunter Pleasure ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment