Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Colic happens...

  Three days before our big show.   K has been slightly off on her front left ever since the trailer ride and I'm starting to get worried.  I decide on three days of rest instead of work to be sure she is ok to go.  And then the unexpected...colic. Finding your beloved horse thrashing around in her stall, unable to get up is one of the scariest horse moments an owner can have.  I call the vet immediately, trainer gives Bannamine, and I hand walk for two hours while the vet tries to get to us.  She's tubed, examined and impactions pulled out.  And we get the news: No trailering or showing this week.  I literally felt the wind pulled from my sails. 
  
  She recovered pretty well, was on a limited diet for four days, but also went into heat.  So last week I had a lame, colicky horse in heat.  Not our finest hours.  And she's still off, and can't be ridden.  What's a girl to do with no rideable horse, no show season and no tears left to cry?  Find a new barn and show tack for next season of course!

We move to our new show barn on the 15th.  Next show season is going to be amazing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment