Sunday, April 8, 2012

Underneath it all, there's a show horse...

After some horse trucking issues (tire blew out) the mare finally arrived at my trainer's barn. I strapped the family into the car, and off we went to get there as soon as I possibly could. We didn't meet her off the truck, but it sounded like she did quite well and caused no issues during the trip.

My trainer warned me on the way that she was skinny, and wooly. She wintered in a pasture, and hadn't had a body clip...at all. Nor had she had enough groceries from the look of her hips. I'm a horse-half-full kind of gal, so was able to look past that. Hubby is still trying to.

I walked into the stall, where she was facing the wall and obviously tired from the trip. She turned and looked at me, with a very kind eye. She liked being touched, so I touched her all over. Her legs looked good, and so did her feet which had recently been trimmed. Her face and ears had been trimmed as well, so at least I could tell she wasn't a yak.

We took her out to lunge, and she showed good manners, listened well, even though she was tired. I then took her for a walk on the lead around the farm. Although very curious, she wasn't spooky, even at the tarp blowing in the breeze or the chicken coop next door. She pays attention and keeps her space. Back in the stall she ate some grain and hay, and seemed to be settling in.

She's smaller than I wanted, and skinnier, and furrier, but something is still telling me that this one has potential to be the horse I'd been hoping for. This isn't exactly how I pictured I'd find my horse, I'm not sure what I expected in this process. But everyone has told me that when I find my horse, that voice inside would be letting me know. And the voice keeps getting louder.

I ride on Tuesday....I'm so anxious I had to open a bottle of 14 Hands Cab just to calm myself down enough to cook an Easter dinner for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment