Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cantering a Race Horse

This morning was our weekly lesson...Gracie and I were both sweating by the end of the hour. Two other horses worked with us this morning, which was great for Gracie. No problems whatsoever passing, big sigh of relief. I think riding with a whip is going to be our solution there. I never even need to touch her with it, she just responds knowing its there.

I knew we'd eventually have to start working on our canter, which is a challenge for me with Gracie always wanting speed. She just hasn't been expected to have a collected canter in awhile, and when she finally gets to run she tosses the head, and sprints. This is what happened while on the rail in the arena this morning. With two other horses working there, I was nervous to continue. On the lunge she did much better. I was able to collect her, and she did a nice slow, comfortable canter. By test C we're going to have to work this business out.

But, in the meantime I was quite proud of her this morning. She willingly passed other horses while trotting, she walked past the trailer without spooking, and she collected quickly in our lesson. Our trainer commented that we looked the best together this morning that he'd seen so far. Extra cookie for Gracie today.

No comments:

Post a Comment