Sunday, December 11, 2011

You and me baby we're stuck like glue...

It's happening...the bond so many horse owners have described is finally mine. The last few times I've shown up at the barn, Gracie has nickered, a long, low motoring nicker. With ears up and head bobbing. The first time it happened I just kind of smiled, thinking, ok she recognizes me. But she is honest to goodness excited to see me.

Now I do recognize that I've been yearning for "the bond" for the last 37 years. Which is why I shrugged it off, thinking she was just happy to get out of the stall. But then the nuzzling started. Rubbing her nose across my face, breathing into my hair, resting her head on my shoulder, then my back while I picked her hoof. Lowering her head for an ear rub and smelling my pockets for cookies. Most of all, she is working for me. She's trying so hard, she's listening to my leg cues now, rather than pushing through the bit and waiting for a voice command before she'll actually trot.

Ok, yep, I went ahead and fell in love with her. Despite my sweet husband's warning to love the horse, but from a distance. Because she's not my horse, and I will outgrow her, or her owner could decide to move, or sell. I should just ride her, and learn, and grow, and then be ready to take on the responsibility of my own horse. But that bond, its a powerful, warm, sweet horse- smelling thing. And I have fallen under it's spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment