Sunday, December 4, 2011

My New Dance Partner

To condense the last twenty years into a blog I'll edit out much of my life. I got married, had 2 babies, had a career, changed my career, and never stopped dreaming about horses. Which brings us up to about 4 months ago, when I decided at the age of 37, it was finally time for me to have my dream. And I started researching and visiting and talking to barns to find the perfect place for me. Which in this upscale area was going to be a tall order, because I was looking for what I had as a teen. No, not the show barn (which is now even more premier, and only a 30 minute drive from me), but the homey, friendly, older but clean, laid back atmosphere of the stables I first leased my black Morgan mare from. And incredibly I found it.

So I took my first lesson, on Gracie, and the smile has not left my face.

Gracie is a 14 year old, grey Thoroughbred mare. Sweet, kind and patient. Sometimes sassy, and sometimes lazy. And about a month into my lessons, she came up for lease, and my supportive husband gave the go ahead months earlier than we had planned.

Which brings me to today. I am finally confident again in the saddle (my very own Neidersuss Dressage saddle) and trusting in the ability of my horse, and learning Dressage. Which is incredibly challenging, exciting and downright killer on the body...who knew the Achilles tendon could ache like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment