Tuesday, December 20, 2011

IntroTest A and the Square Halt

We've started training for our first test in April. We've run through the test about 10 times so far, and I'm really starting to believe that Gracie and I are going to be a good team. She's responsive, collected when needed, and trying hard. I think our biggest challenge is going to be the halt at the end.

Gracie halts about 50 percent of the time. The other 50 percent, she pulls through the bit and takes about 5 steps, wherever she wants. When she does halt, she swings her haunches about a step to the left, every time. This results in my saluting towards M, rather than towards the judges at C. It's not pretty.

I'm sure the lesson kids that ride her feel any halt is a good halt, and so she gets away with it when I'm not riding her. With this going on, I have a feeling we aren't going to get this issue corrected before April's test. Good thing my embarrassment will be hidden when I drop my head in the salute.

She is learning to have a long, low stretch at H-X-F (free walk), but keeping her straight on the diagonal is a little challenging...we're getting there. Perhaps by the time we get to Intro C things will have worked themselves out, and I'll only have to worry about the canter that won't collect...

No comments:

Post a Comment