Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cold, Clear, Crisp Morning = Dressage Horse...

The truck said 27 degrees as I drove out to barn at 9 am this morning. I mentally prepared myself for a cold, lazy horse. I've been nursing a sore back this week, so thought a morning walk through some test patterns would work out for both of us.

After grooming and tacking up I threw her on the longe line to warm her up. Listening perfectly, she transitioned from walk to trot to walk several times. No need to even lift up the longe whip, she was attentive and warmed up pretty quickly.

After mounting, we walked around the arena a few times, and transitioned to trot with the lightest touch of my leg. Normally a warm up for Gracie is about 10 to 15 minutes of walk, trot, walk on her terms. A few snorts usually let me know she is ready to work. Today we had snorting at the first trot! So we trotted our patterns, beautifully. Collected. We trotted down center line to a square halt, amazing (she doesnt halt pretty, ever.) I thought, ok, for fun lets work on shoulder in. And she did on the first ask. (major ear scratch, wither rub for this one.) Then on every corner, then down the rail. Oh my Lord where did this dressage horse come from?

I got a little cocky, a little excited, and at a shoulder in, I asked for a half pass. And we did..ACROSS THE WHOLE ARENA! Santa came early and brought me a dressage horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment