Thursday, March 8, 2012

Big Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

Another horse shopping appointment, another rejection letter. This boy was big, bold and gorgeous. Schooling first level, had proven himself in the ring in training level. Even my trainer had hopes for this one.

His owner happened to be a really sweet girl, sharing lots about him as she tacked him up. (He's girthy...ok, well I can deal with girthy) Apparently he has passed out while being girthed up...red flag going up. His hoof abscess was healing, but he still seemed to be favoring it. And not so good manners in the cross ties. I wasn't getting good vibes at this point.

She led him to the arena and lunged him, and he did quite well. Smooth gaits, listens well, maybe he was going to end up being a prospect for me. She mounted, and started him into the trot. Big, elegant trot. And then the canter. He doesn't transition up to the canter, instead he bucks along until he gives up and heads into the canter. At this point, I've decided I probably am not going for a ride. But he calms down, and has a large, powerful canter. I should mention his owner is one of the most talented riders I have ever seen.

I change my mind and want to give him a go. I climb up all 17 hands of him, and off we go. He leg yields nicely. From the walk to the trot, he does ok, but realizes I am greener than his owner and wants to test me. He wants to canter. I don't. And the rodeo begins. Through the jumping and bucking I am hoping I fall pretty. Hubby stops recording the ride and starts praying. The bronc does calm down long enough for me to take the emergency exit.

Que KT...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmDUEv939A&ob=av3e

No comments:

Post a Comment