Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Other Half of the Dream

Today started out like every Tuesday morning...at the barn with Gracie. I decided to work with her on ground work instead of riding, and threw on my new saddle, pad and girth to have her work with them on, in case there were problems with fit. We worked about 20 minutes on the lunge, working on transitions. She had a lot of energy to burn and didn't like coming back down from the canter, and threw in a few bucks here and there for fun. At one point she got so hyper she bucked several times trying to pull me down the arena. A loud "knock it off" brought her attention back to me.

We did have a breakthrough on the lunge today, even with the bronc show going on. One, she kept her inside ear bent to me, listening for direction. And two, she kept licking, showing me she was relaxed and willing. Normally we don't have this, she usually does what she feels like on the lunge and we burn some energy, but no real communication ever takes place.

After the lunging, I took off the saddle (which seems to be just fine on her) and set her free to run. After rolling in the wettest spot she could find, she kept walking back over to me for a scratch. Then heading away to sniff out any hidden monsters, then back for another scratch.

She got a good grooming, then back to the clean stall for a nap. Not a bad morning to be a Thoroughbred.

I jumped in the truck and headed into town to meet my new Equine Massage instructor and pick up my materials. As of today, I am officially enrolled in Equine Massage Therapy School. (Hubby calls it "Horse Rubby School") By this time next year, I will be certified in my state to work on horses. And Gracie will be one relaxed mare.

No comments:

Post a Comment