Monday, March 5, 2012

Miles and Miles of Thoroughbreds and Not a Horse to be Found!

I'm a good shopper. Let me rephrase that, I'm an EXCELLENT shopper. So why is horse shopping so incredibly difficult?

First horse: Nice bay gelding. Super sweet puppy dog personality. Huge (like I like 'em). No motor...not a dressage prospect if you have to whip them into the canter. Can see the judges remarks now: Between A and F, working canter left lead. "unwilling, unbalanced, disobedient why is this horse even here?"

Second horse: Nice boy, wanted to be loved on. Infected foot, rain rot all over neck, ringworm. Had been in the pasture for some time. Hated to walk away from him, since I'm a "stray dog fixer upper kind of gal." Hubby reminds me I'm looking for a teammate, not a project. I've already got a project at home (my rescue dog)

Third horse: The horse I held most hope for. Training 2nd level, lovely gaits, nice price...and sold before I got there.

Fourth horse: rescheduled due to abscessed hoof. Still hoping for the best on this one.

I live only 30 minutes from a famous race track...I should be having no problem finding a OTTB that meets the qualifications I have in mind. With several dressage barns around me, there should be something out there thats sound, trained up further than I am, well taken care of and ready to work!

I feel like the girl who got asked to the prom, only to realize that the shops with dresses are the picked over consignment stores. Luckily, I've already paid for the limo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment