Sunday, March 11, 2012

California Dreaming

It's not something I ever thought I'd consider, but I'm thinking about a horse in California. Being in the rainy, dreary Pacific Northwest, the Golden State is usually a spring break destination for us each year. It's not unusual to hop on a plane and head to the sun for some much needed vitamin D this time of year (and boy do I need it after this winter we've had.) But a day trip to see a potential horse?

My dressage trainer has found something special...a Morgan mare (yep, a Morgan...I know, I thought they only showed saddle seat too, but I do hold a soft spot for them after leasing one way back in my teens) about 16 hh, and trained up through first level dressage. And has shown in the open circuit, and did well. More Warmblood looking than Morgan and has the talent to bring us to levels in dressage I hadn't even considered for my future. She's got a California price tag too.

I've seen only one video, with the promise of more coming...but the movements on this girl are large, yet elegant with a trot even my bulging disk can sit. I hate to start feeling optimistic, but with my trainer by my side guiding me through the process, I think we could be closer to "the one."

Not sure how many trips sweet hubby is going to agree to, but I'm ready to pack up my helmet, breeches and field boots and head south. At least if I'm not loading a horse onto a large Air Van ride to the Emerald City by the end of our trip, I'm sure I can console myself with a nice visit to an Elephant Bar (do they still have those???)

No comments:

Post a Comment